The Roman Catholic Parish of Sacred Heart, founded in 1873, is an urban parish located in the East Boston in the Archdiocese of Boston. The parish is a multi-ethnic, socially, culturally, and educationally diverse faith community.
Our first Parish Church was completed in 1873 and the first Mass celebrated on Christmas Day 1873. It was formally dedicated on the Feast of the Sacred Heart June 12, 1874 by Archbishop Williams.
Fr. Michael Clark, Pastor from 1881-1906, built both the Rectory and Parochial School.
Children in the Sacred Heart School were taught first by the Sisters of Notre Dame and later by the Order of Dominican Nuns.
The Parish flourished from 1910-1960, serving the working class community of Eastie residents, instructing them in the faith and ministering to their needs.
Tragically, in 1965, a fire destoryed Sacred Heart Church. Through the dedication of parishioners, the Church was rebuilt in 1966 and continued its mission in the community.
In recent years, with declining numbers of Catholics attending and supporting Churches across the Archdiocese, a plan of reconfiguration and models of Parish Collaboratives has been instituted. As these changes began, Sacred Heart Parish has welcomed the Parishioners of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish.
Today, we're a diverse Parish-- a melting pot of the cultures living in Eastie and from the closed Parishes. We celebrate Mass each week in English, Italian and Vietnamese, reflecting the communities which come together to worship in our Parish. We're excited to continue to grow together in faith and in mission of spreading the Good News of our Lord Jesus Christ.
About Our Parish
Deeply committed to Jesus Christ, we endeavor to become a unified community of faith, worship, and service. We strive to be a warm, welcoming and caring parish in which the gifts and talents of all, young and old, are recognized and graciously used to nourish others.